Professional football is just over an hour north of town when the Dallas Cowboys of the National Football League play at the newly built Cowboys Stadium in Arlington. The Red River Historical Museum also offers visitors a glimpse into Texas history, from the Civil War to the present day. The Sherman Preservation League holds its Tour of Homes each year, which focuses on a different house or historic building.
The Old Settlers' Association of Grayson County was founded in 1898 and completed the purchase of Oldsettlers Park in 1909. By the end of the decade, the city had been incorporated and besieged. The Dallas-Denison connection made it possible to travel by interurban rail between Sherman and Fort Worth, and the Dallas-Dallas interurban rail system. This connection allows you to travel from Dallas to Dallas International Airport and other major cities in Texas and the United States via Dallas to Denison.
Large parts of the city were rebuilt with better materials, giving Sherman a more attractive and stable look. The post-war growth of both the Sherman and Denison areas also contributed to the development of a large number of new homes, schools, and businesses in Sherman.
The log cabin was one of the first buildings to be built in Sherman, and the settlers soon began to move into the new community, which quickly grew into a merchandising center. In 1852 Sherman had 300 inhabitants and consisted of a town hall, a church, an elementary school and a post office. The city was recognized as the leading educational and industrial center in the state of Texas and the second largest city in Texas. In the first years of its existence it had behaved well, but by 1851 400 people lived in it. And it consisted of only about 1,000 people, mostly farmers and cattle breeders.
The population grew from 12,412 to 15,031 during the First World War, during which time the city contributed a field artillery battery. By the end of the war, 15,713 people lived in Sherman, though population growth slowed in the 1930s, probably because of a Great Depression. Sixty - four industrial plants, including sixty - four industrial plants and 410 companies operating in the area.
For the time being, Denison was the county's railroad marketing town, but in the 1880s, more than two-thirds of the city's railroads and lines were built in Sherman. Sherman's Fifty-Four Industrial Facilities, which produced about three-quarters of the state's oil and gas products, earned him the nickname "Texas" Fifth Industrial City, "even though it was actually the sixth-largest in the state in terms of annual production. There were four major industrial parks, Sherman Industrial Park, Sherman Manufacturing Park and Sherman Steel Plant.
The Texas Traction Company bought the Denison Sherman Railroad in 1911 and completed its first railway line, the Sherman and Sherman Railroad, in 1908. In 1901, two of the state's first public schools, Sherman High School and the College of Sherman, were completed in Sherman-Denison, and both served as models for the high school system in Texas and other parts of Texas. The Texas Traction Company bought and completed its second railway line, the Sherman & Sherman Railroad, from 1908 to 1911.
A number of private schools and colleges remained open in Sherman-Denison until the last one closed in 1935. The school was run as a private university from 1892, the College of Sherman, today University of Texas at Sherman.
The public school system was founded in 1883 and provided Sherman with a wealth of educational facilities. Sherman Male - Female High School, also known as Sherman's Male and Female Institute, began to admit students in 1866, making it one of three private schools that enrolled students in Sherman. In 1873, it became the North Texas Female College, offering elementary and prep education.
In 1877, Sherman's Female Institute, later called Mary Nash College, was opened under the auspices of the Baptist Church. 187, with the support of the Baptist Church, it opened as the first public women's college in North Texas.
Sherman's Male - Female High School, under the auspices of the North Texas Methodist Conference, began accepting students in 1866 and began accepting them in 1870. Sherman's male-female high school, the first public school for women in Texas, was founded in 1890 and accepted all students.
During the First World War, the city participated in the war effort with an artillery battery and saw the construction of the Perrin Army Air Field, where more than 2,500 pilots were trained during the Second World War.
During the Civil War, about 1,000 of his men volunteered and formed the eleventh Texas cavalry of the Confederate Army. During the Civil War, Confederate militiamen arrested even more suspects than Sherman, and the US Army's 1st Texas Volunteer Infantry Regiment intervened to stop the killings. After the men surrendered, a grand jury indicted Sherman and put him on trial on May 9. During the Civil War years, the city experienced a number of major battles, such as the Battle of Fort Sumter in 1861 and Fort Bragg in 1862.